After ten years of being with the love of his life, our son made the big step called commitment.
The risk of losing Buff was right before his eyes. She was diagnosed with colon cancer and was facing surgery. They decided to get married before surgery.
We were on vacation in Santa Barbara. They had originally taken time off work to spend a week with us.
The wedding was scheduled in Berkeley at the courthouse. No way were we going to miss it. We booked flights from Santa Barbara to Oakland. The day before their wedding we got one of many calls.
“We both tested positive for COVID,” our son said.
Surgery was scheduled 10 days out, so thankfully Buff’s surgery wasn’t delayed. In the meantime, our son ended up in ER with COVID.
Surgery turned out much better than we anticipated. Big sigh of relief. I wrote about those days HERE and HERE. They said the longer the surgery took, the better the outcome. I was literally praying hour by hour. It was more than six hours, which was the best outcome possible.
Post surgery, they waited one week for pathology reports. We were sure everything was fine because surgery went so well.
My son called us — trying not to break down — that pathology was not good. Stage 3 C, which is a step up or down from Stage 4 (depending on how you look at it.) She has a 40% chance of being cured. Don’t want to talk about the 60%.
They had a window between surgery and chemo to get married. They kept the wedding small outside the Mendocino County Courthouse with their “pod.” We stayed home and I was weepy during their marriage. The next day I was filled with love and hope for them.
They got married with some of Buff’s family, our daughter and a few of their closest friends.
California-style, they had their wedding dinner outside at In-N-Out.
They spent their wedding night in Medocino County in a gorgeous VRBO on a river.